Sunday, October 25, 2015

An Unexpected SoundWalk

     As I walked down the long streets in my neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York I heard a variety of noises. At first it’s quiet, but if you pay even little attention it is easy to take notice to many different sounds. The increasing sound of a car engine as it gets closer until it flashes by. Then the rustling leaves on the street from the cars speed. As I walk closer to the intersection faint car honks become louder. It’s fairly warm out so I hear a mixture of radio music and people talking on the phone with open car windows. Car doors opening and getting slammed shut. Sounds of cars getting locked and unlocked. Big trees cover the streets making the gusts of wind louder then one would imagine. Occasionally a loud motorcycle will go by. A fire engine, ambulance, or police car. You can never be sure which one is causing the wailing sirens. I hear low sounds of grocery bags from people bringing home groceries. I didn’t realize, until time into my walk, how loud my own footsteps hitting the solid concrete were. Fall means a lot of trees and grass. The sound of gardeners and leaf blowers make it impossible to hear anything else. Some times the sounds will die out, and then you might even get some real quiet. But never for to long because whether it’s a siren, a car engine, or a person something will always break the silence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment